Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Scoreboard Updates

We have made it to Thanksgiving Break!!! I am so excited to have a break but I am also thinking... "how have we already been at school for 74 days?" This is crazy!! It is going by so fast. 

I have some phenomenal kids this year and they keep me on my toes daily. Last time I blogged, I had decided to get rid of my clip chart and solely base my "behavior" on the scoreboard. I have to say, I have not missed my clip chart at all and the score board has worked pretty well. There is a question I have asked myself many times:

  • If I have the same ones over and over causing the mighty groans, what do you do to address that one child? I usually try to call out the rule number they are breaking so the class and redirect but good gravy... two of the students, it is a constant battle. What do you guys do??

Some days are better than others. There was one day that we worked on our score board during a task where they had to give everyone an opportunity to think before blurting it out and they HAD to raise their hand. After the first few times they got the hang of it and ended up with like 25 Might Oh Yeahs... only here was the problem, when I had them return to their desk, they earned a Mighty Groan and one of the responses was "it's ok, we have enough Oh Yeahs that we can get some Groans." That comment made me very sad and so the class and I had a conversation about how we should do what is expected not just because we get a smiley but because it makes us feel good knowing we are doing the right thing. That day, even though they had a TON of Mighty Oh Yeahs, they ended up not winning the scoreboard that day. 


So my plan for December?? I am making a new scoreboard that has a Santa and the Grinch on there! If they win that day, the Elf will be at school, if they lose... the Grinch will arrive the following day. I think this will be a fun little Christmas spin on the Scoreboard and make it a little festive. Plus, the Elf tends to bring little items to school each day so I know they will really want to be sure to beat the Grinch!!! Now, off to find a Grinch stuffed animal! Happy Thanksgiving.
If you want to snag a Christmas Scoreboard click here


Below are a few of my scoreboard pictures. I planned to take pictures daily but as you see, I didn't :)






Oh and we are doing super on our Super Improver Wall!!! The kids LOVE that they can earn stickers and some are super close to getting to the next level!!! We are earning stickers for fluency, math facts, RTI, clean desk, good handwriting and SO, SO, SO much more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment